Sunday, October 26, 2014

all my burners are on

I think I was in college when I first read this theory about life. basically, the idea is that life is like a four burner stove- you have your family, friends, health & work. ideally, in order to be successful in life you have to turn off one burner, & to be really happy you need to turn off two.

my first thought was complete agreement. I just had a home visit this week with a family & the mom was discussing with me her previous life as a single female employed full-time. she said "I worked 8 to 5, then went for a walk or run, & by the time I made myself dinner it would be 7 o'clock at night & I'd be ready for bed!" finally- somebody who gets me! I often envy my friends with husbands & kids, but my OWN single life is so busy & full it's hard to picture there being room for anything else.

so in college, I thought about what burner I'd turn off. I worked full-time in school, so that wasn't an option. I was in love & had good friends to relationships had to stay on. I had an on-campus rec center that I frequented & even though I didn't realize it back then, I was in the best shape of my life (until my 30's- I hope I get skinny when I'm 30...) I think what I finally cut was my family. college is such a different & difficult period of life that I excused myself from feeling family obligations & spent as little time at home as possible.

I honestly don't have very good or clear memories of my college years. it's a blur to think about now. I probably hurt myself more than I realized I would by distancing myself from my family, but thankfully some bonds are stronger than my immature 20 year-old self knew.

which brings me to present day (with a couple year lag in there...but these last two years also went by in a blur for me). I keep thinking about this stove analogy & how I'm ever going to turn off a burner. it's a daily struggle- I want to get to work early to put in a hard day's work, but I also want to go for a run after work, & I want to see my friends & spend time with my family. there. is. not. enough.

there will never be enough running on my own steam. or, gas. I have a gas stove.

what if, instead, I turned my burners down a little & relied on a power source outside my own control to carry me through? I wouldn't have to sacrifice my job I love, the satisfied way I feel after a hard run, the joy my friendships bring me when spending hours just talking to beautiful people who somehow love me, or the huge blessing of 6 people I was born into that accept me & grow me into someone I never thought I could be. let's not even DISCUSS the oven I have with a fellowship committee, Bible studies, worship team & Netflix all baking in it.



I like that better. all my burners are going to stay on. I'm going to live this life I love & by the grace of God, I get to do it all.



& I get to do it with this sweet kitty :)





*my literal stove only has 2 burners that work. anyone know how to fix gas stoves?

No comments:

Post a Comment